Tuesday, January 10, 2012

If trees had stunt doubles

They're alive... or at least the trees in my neighborhood LOOK as if they could give you a good thrashing or strike up a conversation about the unseasonably warm weather we've been experiencing lately.  Remember these famous trees, the one from The Wizard of Oz as well as Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets?  

This guy didn't like Dorothy plucking apples from his branches and decided to tell her just that.  Plus he got a little handsy - so typical of a man.



Then there was this tree on the grounds of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, the aptly named Whomping Willow.  Nothing worse than a magical tree that decides to exact a bit of revenge when you inadvertently drive your car into it.



As I take Ollie on his daily walks through the 'hood, I try to do my best imitation of Cesar Millan.  We're all business, out to get some exercise, with my head up and shoulders back, keeping a calm assertive grip on the leash.  Because lemme tell you, if I didn't then Mr. I-think-I'm-the-alpha, all 7 pounds of him, would have me twisted up in the leash as he drags me around the block a time or two.  So to keep myself focused and upright, I've started looking at the trees.  And boy do we have some intriguing ones along our route.

This appears to be the inspiration for some sort of magical tree.  It's even more interesting since it's devoid of leaves here in the wintertime.


Here is a shot of the same tree looking up through its branches. 


A squirrel scurried up the next tree as if it had been shot in the butt and thus brought it to my attention... the tree, not the squirrel butt.


The tree pictured below has to be one of my all-time favorites.  There's another tree that rivals it, but I'll have to walk a different route to snap a pic of it.  This one looks as if it has gone a couple rounds with lightning - or maybe a herd of squirrels on a bark binge - and suffered miserably - deciduous hideous.  The tree's exterior is reminiscent of acne or cankers or cysts.  In my opinion, it's the floral equivalent of the Elephant Man and certainly won't win any prizes for prettying up the neighborhood, but it certainly is a conversation piece along the side of the road.  




No comments:

Post a Comment