Tuesday, August 15, 2023

First day of school

Our younger daughter kicked off grade 18 yesterday, the start of her three year journey in law school. She sent a couple pics she snapped around the SMU campus and it really is pretty. I fondly recall the excitement of starting a new school year for many years as a teacher. The fun of shopping for things like bulletin board supplies, meeting new people and a fresh start with all its possibilities. I imagine our girl has some nervousness associated with this new beginning, and yet I know the Lord will be with her through this transition as she adjusts to new expectations, procedures, professors, friends and environment. I'm praying for my girl, y'all, and I am trusting our Holy Father's plan for her life.

I find it interesting that her incoming class is about sixty folks smaller this year compared to previous ones. In order to drive up their GPA and LSAT statistics, they dropped the 2026 incoming class down to 180 instead of the usual 230-240. Within their class of 180, they're divided into three sections. Then within each section they're separated into smaller groups called inns. I'm just glad she has already made a few connections with some girls in her section so she'll have someone to hang out and commiserate with when the going gets tough in her classes.

 

Hard to believe it was exactly thirty years ago this month that her daddy kicked off his own law school education. We had married the month before, and then loaded up a U-Haul to move all our worldly possessions from small town Texas to cosmopolitan Cambridge so he could check out life in the ivies at Harvard. I swear it seems like a lifetime ago now. 

If I participated in social media, I'd have been able to see some pics they posted from orientation last week. It sounds as if they've all hit the ground running. We wish our girl all the best as she embarks on this legal education to kick off her future endeavors as a lawyer one day. 



No comments:

Post a Comment