Sunday, July 19, 2026

Mid July musings

This week we enjoyed visiting the newest location of our favorite Tex-Mex Cajun fusion restaurant, Tia Juanita's. The service and food were both pretty good, but I can see a bit of room for improvement as their kitchen staff settles into things.


We tried a new-to-us Mexican restaurant a couple weeks ago. As you can see below, the basket of chips was quite colorful. My flautas were fine, but I don't see it added to our restaurant rotation. You win some, you pass on some.


Last week I decided to whip up an old favorite of my granny's. So off I went to the grocery store to pick up the things I needed to make Swiss steak, whipped potatoes, green beans and yeast rolls. After cooking the Swiss steak on low in the crockpot for almost 8 hours, we sat down to a nice meal we enjoyed with the husband's parents. 


A kind neighbor two doors down from our house in Boerne kindly went over to check our property on Wednesday after about 13 inches of rain fell in two days. She sent me the video below that our neighbor on the other side took while standing on her porch looking across towards our property. The fence you see in the background runs down our property line. Bad news is that our septic alarm went off after over a foot of rushing water ran over the top of it at the height of the flooding. The good news is that it didn't do any damage to the septic system. She found a bit of water pooled at the entry to the garage, but the house was high and dry, praise God.


On a final note, we've been working on the front elevation for our new lake house as well as a few more tweaks for the architect to try and get the floor plan set so we can move to next steps. We're opting to lean into what I've dubbed lakeside cottage. Something that blends into its natural surroundings. Warm and timeless, yet full of character. That's how I hope it turns out once it's finished. I'm looking forward to this next week since I've got our designer coming up here to accompany me to the nine vendors where I've scheduled appointments. It's time to start looking at interior and exterior selects to make this build our dream retirement home.

No comments:

Post a Comment