Things are continuing to move forward with our dream retirement home, though there will be no tangible evidence on our lot until forms get started next week. All of it has been behind-the-scenes with our architect and builder. This week we're wrapping up a couple final tweaks to the light and switch plan for the electrician's bid. All that leaves is the drainage plan from the civil engineer to finish up the packet required for consideration by our HOA's architectural review committee. The floor plan, elevations, truss/framing, windows and doors have already been completed, praise Jesus!
We began working with the architect back in May, so I feel like we've put in the blood, sweat and tears to design the house we need in our golden years. Will it be perfect? Nah. I've got no doubt there will inevitably be at least a couple woulda-shoulda items we'll wish we could backtrack to change. After building two homes and remodeling five others, I've felt like we had a pretty good handle on what we wanted and how to make the space really work for us. But as we all know, what looks good "on paper" doesn't always play out the way you anticipated in reality.
Oh sure, my plans for a MAX 4500 sf home flew out the window. We hit the 5000 sf mark, and ended up with another 500 sf added to that by the time we were done. But who's counting?! I've read several articles about how Gen Xers are building larger homes instead of downsizing. Kids returning to the nest. Parents needing help as they age. Helping with grandkids. Just because you're rocking an empty nest doesn't mean you need a smaller space. I've got mahjong and football game parties to host. Bible study ladies to have over for a luncheon. And most importantly - I'm itching to have grandkids at some point to enjoy the bunk room, pool and fishing off our dock.
This week we've circled back to flooring and screened in porch fireplace stone, as well as the three fireplace boxes we need to address - living room, study and back porch. My top two favorite firelog sets for the living room are below. The back porch will be wood burning for the smell, sounds and s'mores. I'm not sure what the husband will go with for his fireplace in the study, but I'll ring in with my thoughts if he asks. As he loves to tell me, his space = his choice, lol! Lately, the main house flooring has me stymied and on the fence with the direction I want to take since it's a big slice of how the house will look. Which means I need to revisit the lady at the hardware store to contemplate different knob, handle and hinge options based on my wood selects. That's gonna be a story for another day, I'm afraid.
I wish every decision was as easy as the back porch fireplace stone. With us flooring the entire 33x18' screened in porch with the brick sample in the pic below, I was happy to find this Lueders limestone for the fireplace that's quarried in North Texas. Unlike the hill country limestone we've had in a couple former homes that tended to chip and flake when you even looked at it, this Lueders is reputed to be more durable and thus a good option for a porch space.
No comments:
Post a Comment