Thursday, February 4, 2021

No pain, no gain

After almost four months of slowly upping my cardio workouts on the elliptical machine in my exercise room, I decided to join the Les Mills streaming service to kick off working with weights. Back in-between our two moves to England for the husband's job, I joined our local YMCA and really got into the Les Mills body pump classes. After almost 18 months of doing them consistently for three days per week, I was feeling good and looking toned. 

When we returned from England for the second time I started hitting the cardio again, but only sporadically. I kept telling myself I'd get back to body pump, yet never did. And then the pandemic hit, so classes weren't really an option since it would require wearing a mask while trying to suck more air in to keep from passing out. I've got all of the necessary weight equipment here at my house, but obviously not the commitment to do it without playing follow the leader that a video provides. 

Right before my birthday last fall, I bit the bullet and began doing cardio consistently. I started with the goal of hitting 25 miles per week. My fluffy butt was dragging in the beginning, but I kept at it. By Christmas I was hitting 40-45 miles per week. And then I hit several weeks of 50+ miles in January. I had cleaned up my eating and lost 20 lbs. I figured it was time to get serious about toning up again, so I joined the Les Mills streaming service to be able to access all of their various classes. I enjoyed them in the past and cruised on over to select a favorite episode to kick off my weight work once again on Monday.

Lord help me Jesus, I thought I was crippled Tuesday morning when I tried to get out of bed. I did about 3/4 of the body pump workout video on Monday and was well beyond feeling the burn the next day. Getting on and off the toilet was quite the spectacle since my glutes and quads were all stove up. Just touching them was painful as evidenced by me coming unglued when the ten pound chorkie tried to get on my lap.

I was relaying these workout travails to my husband, the fact that I should have started out with just the arm tracks and then slowly added different muscle groups from there. His response was that I just needed to use smaller weights. Ummm yeah, I did use the smallest weights I have on both the bar and dumbbells. I guess I should have started with my feather duster and some soup cans - bahahaha!  

After the past three days of no exercise at all... after trying the treadmill and quickly figuring out just walking was stretching some muscles that weren't ready for anything that demanding yet... I'm hoping to get back on my elliptical Monday. Now that I've made peace with the face that I'm 50 something outta shape in terms of flexibility and muscle mass, I'll give it another go and build slow.

 

Like a rat on a wheel, y'all - I love my cardio machines!

No comments:

Post a Comment