Sunday, June 2, 2013

Who Woulda Thunk

After teaching strictly English or reading for over ten years, I found myself in the mind-boggling situation of being offered a 6th grade science position Thursday afternoon. I dig novel studies, not the nitrogen cycle. I enjoy grammar rules, not taxonomic groups. I know all about the six traits of writing, not safety in the laboratory.

But the bottom line is that I love, love, love teaching. I adore those a-ha moments when you can practically see the lightbulb flash on above a child's head. I'm thrilled when they get excited about learning something new. And I've decided it doesn't matter if it's energy resources rather than editing and revision.

Right now I'm still in a bit of a daze and don't know where to begin, but I'll remedy that pretty quickly. No doubt the other 6th gr science teachers in the district will unfriend me and change their email addresses by the end of the first grading period since I intend to pick their brains. I don't want to just teach vocabulary and concepts with the boring old state approved textbook. I want to incorporate cool, hands-on activities that really allow the students to touch, feel, know and show what science is all about in 6th grade.

It's going to be a wild ride this summer as I gather resources and get ready to meet the challenge of science, a subject I haven't taught since I was a self-contained 5th grade teacher during the 1999-2000 school year. At that time, science wasn't even a state tested subject. I've got a long way to go as I learn the ropes and try to stay at least a couple steps ahead of the kids, but it will be fine. I'm gonna hit the ground running, dig in for the long haul and do everything in my power to make sure the students have a great year. Science is gonna be way cool in my classroom!




No comments:

Post a Comment