Friday, September 29, 2017

A Snarly Sorta Week

This week I've had lots of practice using my stern teacher, I'm 50 and not gonna put up with your BS voice. I wrangled with the cable folks, picture print folks and furniture store, in no particular order. My record looks like it may be 2 outta 3, but I'm still waiting to see if I get the outcome I want.

I'd like for my mother to have her own cable and wifi in the guesthouse, but you'd think I'm asking them to run the connection to Mars. Back in the "old days", the cable guys came out and could problem solve this sorta thing. They'd run cables up and over doors and around windows and bury it in the yard to get your money for their services. Nowadays, they come out - though not always at the time they told you OR even the same day - to take a look, then toss up their hands and cry uncle. 

I've chewed out sales reps and technicians and third party cable running guys who were boggled by the whole thing. For seven weeks. SEVEN! At one point, I just started laughing because it's a total comedy of errors. The sales reps promise things the third party cable running guys can't seem to comprehend and then the techs responsible for flipping the switch are left to give me the bad news and watch steam come outta my ears. So yeah, time to give the satellite dish folks a call after wasting lots of hours I'll never see again with both AT&T and Spectrum.

I'm sooooo excited about our travel pics wall in the new house. It's in the hallway running from the garage to the open living space, so isn't a particularly glamorous area of the house. But it gets tons of sunlight from the windows and is visible from the kitchen, dining and family rooms. 



We got off to a good start when we laid them out on the floor to make sure it looked *right* before starting to put nail holes in the wall. After the first couple pics, we discovered all four of the 16x20 metal prints had their hangers either sideways or upside down. So I rang up the Shutterfly folks and had to arm wrestle them into replacing the prints, as well as paying the shipping fee. Because seriously, who is gonna hang a pic of a boat upside down? I brought up every argument I could think of - I couldn't see the back of the pic to check the hanger on their website and didn't anyone pay attention to the finished product to see how it would hang? And even if I did order it upside down, wasn't it worth a call to the customer (ME) to ask if madam really wanted that pic of the Iceland black sand beach hanging sideways instead of right side up? Thankfully, the nice customer service rep on the phone decided it was worth the goodwill to make it right, and so we'll be putting the rest of the travel pics in their place next Friday once the replacements have arrived.



Last, but not least, of the folks to aggravate me this week are the furniture guys. I ordered several custom pieces from a local leather place and when they were delivered, the chairs we opted to do in a fabric were HIDEOUS. I think these were edited from the Archie Bunker show because they were just too danged ugly. The decorator that helped with these selects was appalled. So I upgraded to a leather option that would compliment the sofa and bench. That was back during the first week of August. The furniture company told us the reject chairs could stay here at the house until the new ones arrive. Until today. This morning on the way to the craft store, I got a call from some guy that the chairs blah blah blah I couldn't hear because it was on the bluetooth in my SUV. I was really happy at the thought of getting my new chairs. Guess again there sister. He was calling to set up a time to fetch the uglies. 

Once I got home this afternoon, I gave the furniture store manager a call to ask about the status of my new leather replacement chairs. Since they're coming from Norway, it seems they won't arrive at the port for another 2 wks and then take 7-10 days to get to the store. I explained how that isn't acceptable since we won't have any chairs to use for about a month. I'm hoping they see things my way and leave them here until my new ones are delivered. Store manager guy was gonna talk to the owner and get back to me.

So yeah, those are the highlights of my week. We did make it to the art museum fundraiser last night. After a rainy week, we all sat around with frizzy-fuzzy hair in the large events tent since it was held outside. No rain plan, it seems. The theme was Japan. And the band was amazing, though really loud since we were up front. Folks come to these things to socialize and network and so you end up shouting in the ear of your friend, spouse, co-worker, etc. It's rather annoying. Cool decor. And drinking sake out of a square wooden cup - not your usual Thursday evening, at least not at our house.



And last but not least, it's MEGA-mum! <insert deep base drum bongs here>



This makes me laugh because it's just so over-the-top. Talk about a pain in the patootie to put together. Not to mention the petite or slim teenage girls wearing these things around their necks. I can just hear it now at the orthopedic's office... Little Sue Ellen here had perfect posture until homecoming week.

I saw it outside the boutique entrance when I went to pick up a couple school spirit shirts I had made to wear to games - Go Panthers! When I asked the shop owner, she said only one girl ordered MEGA mum last year for homecoming, costing about $300. I seriously hope this doesn't become a thing at my daughter's school. Or at least not until after she graduates in a couple years. Then behemoth mums can be ALLLLLL the rage because I just don't have the craftiness or glue gun skills to tackle creating something this big.

No comments:

Post a Comment