Saturday, November 17, 2018

Saturday Sundries

At supper tonight, a former student recognized me. Kinda. He started out by asking me and the husband if our last name is Flores. It's not. Didn't I teach 3rd grade at Suchandsuch Elementary school? I taught 5th. Of course, I didn't recognize the young man who must now be in his early 20s since I hadn't seen him since 5th grade. Kudos to Michael for remembering me after all these years.

In other exciting news for the day, I took my sweet little CASA kiddos out for a movie, lunch and run to the local bakery for a Thanksgiving decorated cookie. We decided to see the new Grinch movie and it was cute. But alas, since I'm old I did my usual nodding off every so often during the first 20-30 minutes of the movie. Since I always let the 6th grader pick where we eat lunch, we had his usual #1 choice of Tex-Mex. He gets the same thing every time... a small cup of queso plus a bean and cheese taco. His little sister, now in 2nd grade, is always game for whatever we're doing despite the challenges of her intellectual disability and ongoing developmental delays. I was so happy to see her producing more spontaneous speech, to the point of pointing to compare similar colors like the booth upholstered in red and the cups we were using were also red while saying the correct color. That's true progress. She's got a long way to go, but she's like a different kid from the one I was spending time with a year ago. Even though I'm no longer on the case since all parental rights were terminated in June at trial and I attended the grandparent's adoption of both kids at the courthouse in September, I see me keeping up with them because they're just so sweet and I have a soft spot for the kids and their grandparents who stepped up to raise them.

The eBay fairy came today, delivering the last of the Mr. and Mrs. Claus S&P shaker sets I recently ordered. I had to wait until I unpacked and set up all of the other S&P shakers to make sure I wasn't purchasing duplicates. Once I work these newbies into the dining table centerpiece, I'll have to post pics of the decorated house. Yes, it's not even Thanksgiving and I honestly don't care. As usual, I'm getting as much mileage as possible from my 27+ years of collecting Santas.


No comments:

Post a Comment