Saturday, November 3, 2018

The perks

Every fall, my husband and his fellow corporate officers in the company attend a strategic planning retreat with the board of directors that also includes all of the spouses. It's always a lovely time. The husband and I were especially pleased to attend the retreat at a wonderful resort on Lake Oconee in Georgia since we're officially second house hunting for our own lake home. 



I didn't want to look like a total rube snapping pics the entire time, so I only worked in a few to share. The amenities were extensive and I enjoyed a workout every morning in the fitness center on my favorite elliptical machine, a Precor. Our meals had a southern twist, which was fine with me since that's about all my granny cooked throughout my growing up years. Our first night on the property, they served the most amazing brussels sprouts I've ever eaten. I could have gobbled up my weight in those things. It's amazing how bacon and balsamic can do wonders with plain old veggies.

We took a boat ride the next morning and enjoyed lake views of some really pretty homes while a local professor enlightened us on the history of central Georgia. 



I opted for a brisk hike through the woods to view the rock hawk archaeological site that afternoon. It's an effigy mound built by the local Native American Woodlands tribes about 2,000 years ago. You've gotta squint a bit and use your imagination to really see a hawk of rock from atop the viewing tower provided for visitors.


The next day, I pedaled around on a Schiller water bike. By the time I returned to the dock I was dripping in sweat, smelling like a goat and looking like one, too. But I seriously think we need to add this contraption to our list of water toys for our own lake home. 



No comments:

Post a Comment