Friday, April 3, 2020

April flowers

No matter that the COVID 19 pandemic is raging across the world, God's creation is still business as usual. The squirrels stay busy tormenting our dogs, hustling for the rest of the fall acorns in the rock strewn landscaping beds outside our floor to ceiling family room windows. So there has been a lot of barking and wanting out to chase away the offending tree rats. By the end of the day, they're dog tired! 


Spring came early this year. My mountain laurels bloomed so quickly and for such a short time that I didn't have a chance to snap a pic of them. However, the rest of the yard is putting on a pretty display right now. I've been busy watering and fertilizing to encourage as much spring growth as possible. Before you know it, we'll hit the usual summer hot as the fires of hell weather. Then I'll be battling to keep everything limping along in the heat and inevitable Texas hill country drought.






I'm hoping to "call in" an order to my favorite local nursery next week so I can get a few more plants into the ground and roots established before summer hits. I was surprised to receive an email that they're doing curbside plant pickup like all of the restaurants are doing for food these days. At the rate we're going, I'm wondering if we should try to grow something fun like watermelons in the raised planter beds back behind the pool house. Younger daughter C really loves this perennial summer melons. Maybe we'll have a go at some cucumbers, too. It's not like the girls and I don't have the free time to tend garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment