Sunday, April 12, 2020

Easter 2020

This will go down as one of the more interesting Easter Sundays in our lives, no doubt, thanks to COVID 19. I'm just glad we don't have little ones - kids or grandkids - because I'd be even more sad about missing celebrating with extended family.

I made a grocery store run on Friday, my first one in almost three weeks since the girls have been doing it for me, in order to buy all the fixin's to grill today. We put on the feedbag with steak, shrimp, baked taters, corn on the cob and asparagus wrapped in bacon. Mimi (my mother) whipped up a homemade German chocolate cake for dessert and it was dee-licious! Probably the most important reason for me shopping at HEB was that I needed to get the items to make the 19 and 24 year old daughters an Easter basket. I knew they probably wouldn't mind if I skipped it this year, but they seemed both surprised and happy to find their little basket of edible goodies on the dining room table this morning.

Earlier this week, I was snooping through old travel pics and ran across this one I took inside St. Peter's Basilica in Vatican City in 2011. As you can imagine, it's incredibly old (construction began in 1506) and grand. I especially loved how the light was streaming through one of the windows in the apse.


I also decided to pull several pics of tombs I saw while we were in Jordan, empty tombs because this is Easter week and it was incredibly appropriate. 

Mark 15:46... So Joseph bought some linen cloth, took down the body, wrapped it in the linen, and placed it in a tomb cut out of rock. Then he rolled a stone against the entrance of the tomb.



Mark 16:2-6... Very early on the first day of the week, just after sunrise, they were on their their way to the tomb and they asked each other, "Who will roll the stone away from the entrance of the tomb?" But when they looked up, they saw that the stone, which was very large, had been rolled away. As they entered the tomb, they saw a young man dressed in a white robe sitting on the right side, and they were alarmed. "Don't be alarmed," he said. "You are looking for Jesus the Nazarene, who was crucified. HE HAS RISEN! He is not here."


Luke 24:5&7... "Why do you look for the living among the dead? He is not here; HE HAS RISEN!... The Son of Man must be delivered over to the hands of sinners, be crucified and on the third day be raised again."


Praise God that He sent Jesus to die on the cross, taking on the sins of the world, so that through his resurrection we would be saved by His grace alone through faith alone in Christ alone. 


One of my favorite hymns growing up in my tiny Texas town that I can still sing by heart today is "The Old Rugged Cross". Alabama was my first concert way back in the day. Enjoy their rendition of this Baptist classic. Happy Easter, y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment