Thursday, March 11, 2021

Home, home on the lake

About ten months ago, we purchased a waterfront home on Lake LBJ and I have enjoyed every minute of time we've spent up there. What is it about being on the water that's so darned relaxing? Every time we're up there, I tell the husband yet again how much I love the lake house.

Lately, I've started to envision life as a permanent lake resident once the husband retires. Our home on the water is perfect for our current needs. It has a great set-up for guests, and is relatively low maintenance. However, the main issue we have is outdoor space, or rather the lack thereof. The bottom line is we really need a larger lot so we can include things like a workshop for the husband, plus a place to store the boat and jet ski trailers. Room for the dogs to roam and space for items like tire swings and a soccer net when we eventually have grandchildren. I've come to the conclusion that it would probably be best to find an empty lot or tear down and build our perfect retirement home. And thus the search begins since I've got the husband on board.

I've started a new Pinterest board with my general ideas for an architect and decorator to try and get exactly what I want. If I don't write it down on my new lake house build doc, or pin it on a board, I'll promptly forget it thanks to menopause brain. At our lake, we see a lot of houses that are Tuscan or Texas Hill Country. And those are lovely. But I'm going for vintage lake house. Think vaulted ceilings with some exposed beams and a screened-in back porch as another living area that runs the length of the house as it looks down to the water. What I have in my head is something like this dreamy vision in blue and white.

What we may be able to afford is something more like you see in the pic below since the price of lakefront propeorties has skyrocketed into the stratosphere. 

Because dang, the prices at the lake in just the last couple years have became a bit crazy. However, I'm afraid lakefront will always be at a pricey premium, no matter which lake you choose. When I see price changes on properties up there these days, it's often them raising the list price instead of lowering it. Seriously. And then they're selling. I've seen it happen twice in just the last couple months. Dare I blame covid? Per realtors, it has become even more expensive and competitive when purchasing around the lake since lockdown hit last spring. Thankfully, I've got plenty of time to watch and wait and get exactly what we want. So I'll just keep dreaming and pinning!


No comments:

Post a Comment