Friday, October 1, 2021

Fall shoe swap

Although the weather is still decidedly warm, with highs in the low 90s most of this week, I decided to forge ahead with autumn and do my biannual shoe flip. Out with all but one pair of brown sandals, and in with the footwear I'll use this fall and winter. Or rather, that's UP with each pair stored in its own box since I keep all my out-of-season shoes on the handy shelves up above the hanging clothes.

We're headed to New Mexico this month to celebrate my birthday, so I knew I'd need closed toe shoes for that. I should probably scratch around in the laundry room cabinets to locate my leftover can or two of the spray stuff that protects suede shoes from nasty weather. Last fall I bought two pairs of really cute wedge booties in black and taupe suede, which was so unlike me. I've always been way too practical for something high maintenance like suede footwear. But they were so darned cute. So I hosed them down with suede protector in 2020, probably killing off a ton of brain cells I can't afford to lose at my age. The fumes are truly noxious. And now I figure they probably need another good dousing in that water repellent concoction to remain presentable.

The husband was traveling for work this week, so the dogs were my bed buddies. It's both a blessing and a curse. They keep me company so I don't get lonely in the house by myself. But they also go barking mad if they hear any little thing at night. A raccoon climbing a tree in the yard. Our resident armadillo digging yet another hole in my beautiful St Augustine lawn in search of bugs. A leaf falling from a tree. The grass growing. No sight or sound is too insubstantial for them to ignore. Needless to say, I don't get much quality sleep until the husband is home again thanks to my hair trigger twelve-legged alarm system.


No comments:

Post a Comment