Wednesday, January 5, 2022

Off to a grate start

Over the holidays, I realized I had tossed out our old cheese grater earlier in the fall because it started rusting and never replaced it. When I was in the grocery store earlier this week, I purchased the largest grater I could find because I knew I'd need one to grate the gruyere for the cheese toast to accompany the French onion soup I planned to make. It's a whopper!

As usual, I had my four-legged monitors in attendance while I was in the kitchen, all loitering in anticipation of something tasty hitting the floor. I dropped a couple rings of the sweet onion I was slicing and they all dove for it. But they quickly, and intelligently, decided it was not something they really wanted and left it alone.

Necessity is the mother of invention. Since I didn't have any kitchen twine on hand, I rooted around in the laundry room and located a bag of zip ties. It was a handy means of securing the fresh thyme together in a bundle to steep in the soup and flavor it. I've used dried thyme in the past, but it's just not as good as the fresh stuff. 


No comments:

Post a Comment