Wednesday, February 23, 2022

Cardinals

Part of the reason we live in our current house is because it had a guesthouse for mother. Having her so close, seeing her in the day-to-day, was when I noticed her fascination with cardinals. They always seemed to be on our property, lighting in the trees where she could see them. She'd tell me it was her mother, my granny, visiting her. That was the first time I had heard this old folklore saying about cardinals as angels or departed loved ones.

She'd cheerfully say, "Hi, granny!" when she spied them. Cardinals became a favorite of hers and she used them as the theme of her Christmas decor. She had cardinal figurines, a cardinal cookie jar, cardinal shirts, and an entire tabletop tree decorated with cardinals. I bought her a cardinal necklace, a vintage broken china creation I found in a shop on Etsy several years ago. 

A very good friend has been going through a tough time the past week, and it's a messy situation that breaks my heart for her. I've been praying for her, and making a concerted effort to be supportive while trying to mirror a more Christ-like approach to her situation. Worrying that I wasn't saying the right things. Wasn't letting the Lord lead me in this matter. 

We were texting back and forth this morning while I was working on my BSF (Bible Study Fellowship) lesson for tomorrow. I prayed once again for the Lord to show me the way. To give me the right things to say to her that reflect Him. Right after, I made a great connection with a passage and God was revealing more of the big picture with this lesson and I was so thankful. No sooner had I written down what I was thinking, and feeling buoyed by His revelation, I heard a loud noise on the front side of the house. Figuring it was the sprinkler guys working to repair our system after the septic install since they were on my calendar for this morning, I got up to go take a look. I cast my eyes to the window beside the front fireplace and there was a cardinal perched on the windowsill. It turned its little red head as if to get a better look at me. I tried to snap a pic, but it flew away too quickly. And then I teared up at this wonderful reminder. 

This side of heaven, we'll never know all of the ways God is leading us. Directing angels to help us. Sending cardinals as reminders of loved ones. I like to think mother knows what's happening here in my earthly life. I knew she would have some wonderful advice for my dear friend because mother had gone through the same situation years ago. Maybe the cardinal was letting me know that I was making some great connections as I seek to learn more through God's word. It could have been a call to thankfulness that He allows the Holy Spirit to work in me. Maybe it was just to strengthen my resolve on the importance of praying and being open to these signs and messages that speak to our hearts. Whatever the case may be, I'm grateful for this reminder of God's love and care as He watches over me.

We should seek GOD, reach out for Him and find Him, for He is not far away from us.  Acts 17:27

The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; He will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.  Deuteronomy 31:8


No comments:

Post a Comment