Wednesday, May 4, 2022

Let the decorating begin

Yesterday we bought the river house. However, I had already met with our decorator to hit the ground running with some much needed kitchen updating and decor changes. She and I made a trip to our favorite stone store to check out granite slabs. I'm going with two different looks, the first one a darker granite to contrast with the white kitchen cabinets. The lighter granite with all of that great movement in it will be the new top for this built in piece of furniture - think super long sideboard - that separates the living and dining areas.


I've clicked through lots of sinks, faucets and backsplash tiles as more necessary items required for the kitchen update at some of my favorite online stores. For the next few days, I'll be working out at the river house to get it prepped for interior painting starting Monday. I'm lightening all of the walls with this soft linen color. However, I still need to pick a paint color for the built-in entertainment center. Plus I've got to take every last thing off the walls and ledges, as well as remove all blinds and drapes. 

How convenient the husband is out of town for work until Tuesday. He just sent me the pic above, his bird's eye view of St. Patrick's Cathedral in NYC. Thankfully, I've got a couple folks pitching in to help me with the sweat equity to get the prep work done.

 

I couldn't resist snooping through some local antique shops yesterday afternoon. Vintage fishing nets, creels, and minnow buckets were on my hit list. Once I explained to my decorator what the goal was for the river house - informal and fun - she told me it would be great if I could find some old fishing items. We counted up and this is the fifth house the decorator has helped me pull together, including a new build and several remodels. She knows my aesthetic and I always enjoy collaborating with her for a great finished product. I've also been busy taking pics of soft furnishings and accessories when I stumble across possibilities. 




We've all been hearing about supply chain issues. Sure enough, several of the chairs I really liked have delivery projections well into the fall. I turned the internet upside down and inside out, looking for navy blue barrel swivel chairs that would arrive this month. Once I'm out at the river house and measure the space for fit tomorrow, I hope to be ordering a pair of the comfy looking swivel chairs below to go in the living room.

I'll undoubtedly be posting more pics of decor, the process and finished product once it's all ready for company, so just bear with me while I wade into the decorating weeds and bring you along for the ride. It's exciting to think about putting our own stamp on the river house and spending summer weekends there making memories soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment