Wednesday, October 5, 2022

The Lord and His mysterious ways

This year in Bible Study Fellowship (BSF), we're back in the Old Testament. Our new study is off to a roaring start with King Solomon and his heirs as the kingdom was split into north (Israel) and south (Judah). I've cheered on their triumphs when they have their whole hearts turned to God. But more often than not I'm sad at the self-inflicted struggles they face. God spares us few details as His inspired words recount the many sins of mankind through the annals of history. And unfortunately, it's a history that seems to be on a nonstop cycle of sin, repent and then repeat. None of us are immune, I'm afraid. I think the world would benefit from a big dose of God's Old Testament fire and brimstone right about now, but I digress.

One of the things I love most about the Bible is that it's always relevant. God's words are eternally true, whether He's describing human actions from 3000 years or three days ago. There is an unending list of things to be learned when we study the Bible, because the Holy Spirit speaks to us in a personal way as we draw close. "The Lord is with you when you are with him. If you seek him, he will be found by you, but if you forsake him, he will forsake you."   2 Chronicles 15:2b As I round the corner on 55 this week, I know I listen for God more because I believe He's actively communicating with me. But I have to wonder... Is it that I don't always hear God, or that what He's trying to tell me is something I don't WANT to hear?

This week I realized God was speaking to me through the mail. Seriously. 

I was raised in a home where the only times adults prayed aloud was at Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter. That was it. The rest of the time I prayed in my head, though I was never encouraged to do that. And so it's no wonder I've deemed myself a raccoon when I pray. Oh look, something shiny! I start off praying about X, but get distracted to Y, and then Z pops into my head so that I'm off on a completely different track from where I started. I know there's a need for me to revamp my prayer life. But I've been dragging my feet and making excuses. Then this arrived in yesterday's mail.

If there had been any doubt about the need for change, there was confirmation in black and white on my kitchen table. That coupled with Lesson 3 this week in BSF were massive neon signs blinking in my face. God sees me - He sees everything - and is nudging me to make a positive change with prayer. Or maybe He was slapping me on the back of the head, or giving me a good kick in the backside. The Lord knows I can be a stubborn mule that often needs to hear from Him in various ways. His meaning yesterday was crystal clear, that it's time to commit to a more substantial and meaningful prayer life. Be more intentional and persistent. Write everything down because hello, menopause brain. Set aside a specific time and place to pray every day instead of my more random approach. He's telling me I can't continue to ignore this deficit in my walk of faith.

It's so easy to let it slide and tell myself I've got time to do better... later. I think we all do that. Sigh. If I'm going to talk the talk, I should be walking the walk with my whole heart. And so there's no time like the present to dig in. Let the Lord lead me where He knows I need to go. For my soul and His glory. Hallelujah and Amen!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment