Thursday, December 8, 2022

Christmas Shopping

I'm taking a break from my Israel trip posts today. I've got a couple more to do in order to finish chronicling the trip for posterity, but I need to finish culling through pics first. Today I want to write about the most wonderful time of the year (cue the music). 

Usually in the month of December I re-read the Gospel of Luke. This year I've opted to do a Christmas devotional. As soon as I read the introduction for Ann Voskamp's The Greatest Gift, I knew it was the one and there was no need to consider a few others I purchased. Voskamp's writing strikes me as poetry, with its beautiful flow and use of imagery. I've highlighted several golden nuggets thus far, and one of my favorites reads, "Only when you are overwhelmed with the goodness of God can you overflow with the goodness of God to others." I think a whole bunch of pessimistic, unhappy folks striving for peace in their own power instead of His would benefit from hearing this truth. 

Last Friday I spent the day with two friends, shopping in the Hill Country. We enjoyed perusing the selections in various stores, and I got an idea or two for decking the halls in a new way next year.

 

We also enjoyed the decorations along Main Street. We were surprised that when we arrived as the shops opened that every parking space along Main was taken. And most of them by pickup trucks. The lady manning the register in the first shop we visited explained that the annual Christmas night parade was that evening and locals had parked trucks several days before to reserve a spot for prime family viewing. Smart.

Lunch was in a local brew pub and we were seated in front of this lovely fireplace.

In one of the stores, I spied these lip glosses that took me back to elementary school. Anybody else remember the greasy roller ball scented ones? Or maybe the little tin ones with the sliding lids? It was a lovely stroll down memory lane when I saw them.

 

I saw this fun graphic t-shirt below and it cracked me up, so I bought one for the college coed. She heartily agreed with it.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment