Monday, September 18, 2023

Chorkie's visit

Our older daughter and her fiance went to La La Land for the long weekend, so I volunteered us to granddog sit the Chorkie while they were traveling. Our sweet girl Pepper was about two when the daughter got Chorkie, and so they've been big buddies for years. Anytime he comes back for a visit, she's always thrilled to see him. As soon as they dropped him off and headed to the airport, Chorkie immediately wanted to start marking things. It doesn't matter that he was neutered long ago. Nothing on the back porch or patio area was immune to his leg hiking. Rock porch posts, lounge chairs, pavilion trash can and the pool toy storage caddy all got a dousing. I snagged a video of him doing his little kicks after he tinkles, which always cracks me up. It's my laugh consolation for having to drag the water hose around to clean up after the little beast.

Our puppy Finn absolutely adores Chorkie and works really hard to engage him. However, curmudgeon Chorkie spurns Finn's effort with bared teeth and snarls. Finn was initially scared, but quickly realized on Chorkie's last visit that it's all bluff and no bite.


One of Chorkie's favorite places to hang out at night is in my husband's lap when he's in the recliner. Finn recently discovered the same spot, and so we had to deal with a lot of jealousy from Finn when Chorkie hopped up there first. I had already loaded my spray water bottle to combat Chorkie's barking, so I used it on Finn when he decided to get vocal about losing his lounge spot with dad for the weekend.

Every place Chorkie went, both inside and outside, Finn was his shadow. I snapped a couple pics of them looking out the window together, as well as Finn getting as close as he could to Chorkie while napping. The poor little guy never gave up trying to get Chorkie to engage with him and be his buddy like Pepper is, though we wish he would have thrown in the towel at some point.


Chorkie has become a fan of armrests since moving to Austin. I've dubbed this pic of him below "Gargoyle Chorkie" because of his very upright pose as if he's guarding the spot. In profile he appears to have only one ear. He also has a bit of a halo effect due to his floofy fur and backlighting from the family room windows. I sent this pic to a friend and she said he looks like the love child of the Grinch and a gray unicorn. Pretty accurate description, I'd say.

 
 



One of my favorite poses is the one he does that Finn has adopted, too. However, I think the Chorkie is probably cuter in that position, mainly because it gives you a really good look at the snaggletooth that resides outside his mouth. Friday I got a nice break from the bedlam when Pepper and Finn were at the groomers for several hours. After I got them home, they flopped down for a nice long nap that extended the peace and quiet for me to work on my BSF lesson.

With the kids flying home yesterday afternoon, Chorkie returned to his life as a rather spoiled only dog. And I honestly think that's his preference. God help them when they get married and start having kids. Or add a new pup to the mix. Chorkie will undoubtedly strive to keep his pole position as number one dog child.


No comments:

Post a Comment