Thursday, January 11, 2024

Old man winter is ready to roar

We are truly spoiled, with all of our long range forecasts and prepping we can do in advance of inclement weather. Our poor forefathers had no warning when the Fahrenheit was about to dip a solid forty degrees and they needed to bring in wood for the fireplace and stove. Or take care of their livestock so they survived. They'd get a good laugh at me calling up the propane company for a top-up, and pulling out a couple doggy sweaters for the cairns.

This afternoon I saw several folks with big baskets of groceries at the supermarket. As for me, I gathered up the ingredients to make a big pot of pinto beans and Mexican cornbread. I already had the fixin's for chili in my freezer in case we need it. It's nice we've got a gas stove and fireplace in this house, as well as outdoor grill. Then I pestered the law student a bit. Our younger daughter in Dallas will be even colder come the weekend. We sent her back for the spring semester with several big candles and lighters, two new phone chargers, a portable power station and instructions to set in a supply of pantry goods and bottled water in case she loses power or her pipes freeze. Our older daughter will be working at the office in Chicago for the next month, where it's forecast with not just single digits, but negative numbers. That's a genuinely miserable thought to this Texas girl. No amount of down, wool or cashmere would make living in that sort of cold climate palatable to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment