Friday, March 15, 2024

My friend's Shangri-La, Sluishuis

The older I get, the less I enjoy plane travel. However, I've discovered it's more bearable in business class. That extra legroom with the fold flat seat is worth every penny, and then some. You'll notice it isn't a tremendous amount of space, but at least you don't have seat neighbors breathing on you. Or leaning back onto your lap. A lovely perk was that KLM gifts business class fliers with these cute little blue painted delft houses. They brought around a selections of several darling options and I'm quite pleased with the two I chose.

My childhood friend TJs place in Holland is an architectural marvel named Sluishuis. Cantilevered out over the water, it's this lovely mix of metal and wood that really catches the eye. Her unit has a patio/windows looking out into the courtyard as well as towards the shipping lane and house boats moored adjacent to the building. For a mere $285K, you too can have a permanent spot to dock your floating home. 




 

The vista from the 10th floor was pretty amazing. And windy. You can see Amsterdam in the distance. It was nice to get up there to get oriented as to where we were and have a bird's eye view. I couldn't help but notice this pair of ducks appeared to have staked a claim to the area leading up from the water. TJ told me that in the summer it's a regular occurrence for folks to dive in and go swimming from these platforms and convenient ladders located in the inner courtyard. 


No comments:

Post a Comment