Tuesday, October 1, 2024

It's me, I'm Goldilocks

Goodness gracious, y'all, I have had a humdinger of a time in my search for the perfect mother-of-the-bride dress. I purposely postponed the more serious dress shopping until this summer because I was working to drop the winter blubber. Now that this has been accomplished, I find myself starting to feel pressed for time.

I swear I didn't think this process would be so challenging. Granted, it took me a solid few months of trying on a variety of styles to narrow down what's most flattering on my shape. Then it became all about finding the right dress silhouette in a color that works with the bride's vibe. Easier said than done, it seems. Right color, wrong neckline. Right length, wrong sleeves. Right style, wrong fabric. And thus the dress selection difficulty. At this point, I'm still waiting on a couple custom dresses to arrive from overseas, as well as two I ordered from a boutique (see below). I've got my fingers crossed that at least one of these will be "the one". 


At my age, it's not as if I can throw on any old thing like our daughters can and still look fabulous. There are things like a postmenopausal belly to consider. Don't get me started on batwings. Plus the swan neck that's leaning more turkey wattle with every passing year. And so it goes. At least I'm a couple sizes smaller, so there's a silver lining to my old lady dress dilemma. I've about decided I'm being a total nitpick because these pictures will be enshrined in the family lore, sitting around in beautiful keepsake picture books until I take my last breath. One day I'm sure I'll look back on these pictures and marvel at the fresh(er) face. Maybe our great grandchildren will do the same. At this point, the one thing I do know is I have to make a decision soon so any alterations can be accomplished since I can't show up wearing my comfy old brown chenille bathrobe that the family calls my bear suit. Right?!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment