Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Timing is Everything

As central Texans, we bitch and moan about the fact that we always seem to be in stage this or that of drought restrictions, because the aquifer is low and we have to watch our water consumption. Only running the sprinkler system on your assigned day. Risking a fine if you get caught washing your car.

Today we finally got some nice rain after weeks of next to nothing... and of course it's the day of the ladies luncheon I'm hosting for the gals who live on our street. These ladies range in age from late 30s to mid 80s, with many of them on the upper end of that range. I was seriously concerned one of them would fall on my slick-as-glass front walk and break a hip. Thankfully, they all made it inside in one piece. We had lots of great food, good conversations and door prizes for the winners of the holiday trivia and guessing games I devised. They all oohed and aahed over their take-home gifts of Santa themed decorated cookies. Because seriously, they are like little works of art and ALMOST too pretty to eat. Almost.



With the rain, we got to see how the new slate covered patio would handle drainage. Thankfully, it's all greatly improved except this one patch where it puddled. And check out that new pool tile they installed - a big improvement over the kinda funky and permanently stained stuff we had removed.



Last but not least, I have to mention the most memorable part of the day. Down the road we'll look back with laughter and say remember the year Mimi (my mother) set the little stove on fire when she burned the butter and flames shot out of it about 45 min before the ladies luncheon was set to start? I'm still cleaning up that fire extinguisher mess and it's just not funny yet. As my man of the season Clark Griswold would say, "Hallelujah! Holy shit! Where's the Tylenol?" Because my back, it is paining me from crouching on the floor working to clean that danged oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment