Sunday, December 2, 2018

Decked and done

It's hard to believe we're just getting into the month of December since I've been enjoying my Christmas decor for about three weeks now. I always have fun and look forward to decking the communal living spaces with Santas. I began collecting the jolly old elf when I was 24, so this is my 27th Christmas enjoying the fat man in the red suit. Though sometimes it's the green suit. Or white suit. Doesn't matter... I love Santa in all forms and pursuits. Here are some pics of our house all ready for the holiday season.




I always enjoy unearthing my Santa nesting set in the boxes of stored Christmas decor. Purchased while on a river cruise with my husband at our stop in Budapest, I love the bright colors and unique design.





Hola, Santa! We're not drinkers, so I had to scratch through several cupboards to find a random wine and liquor we were given last year as Christmas presents to use with the two Santa bottle covers. Along the bar shelving, I placed my little grouping of Santa mugs, including a few we picked up at the German Christmas markets in Cologne while living abroad.


In my opinion, good decorating is all about the details, both big and small. It's making sure I have good coverage with my theme of Santas. The trick is to edit appropriately and not go crazy so that it gets cluttered. Too much stuff means it all becomes a blur and can't be appreciated by your guests. Even the hand and dish soap at the sink are in seasonal colors. Plus the heavy doggy door stop that looks like our black cairn Pepper.




My large dining room table is covered with an assortment of candleholders in various sizes surrounded by my collection of Santa and Mrs. Claus salt and pepper shakers. Some are vintage, while others are brand new. I love the variety of poses, clothing and expressions even though it's just a repetition of the same two characters in this simple yet sweet design. 


No comments:

Post a Comment