Sunday, May 16, 2021

Home maintenance, lake version

The husband and I went up to the lake house this weekend to check on things before we kick off the summer season with Memorial Day. I've been monitoring all of our landscaping, but specifically the five sago palms in the front yard after February's snowmageddon and single digit temps. The two larger ones are bouncing back, but it looks like the three clustered smaller sagos will need replacing. I'm thinking a mountain laurel would look good in that spot. But I digress... Right after we arrived and were out on the back patio, I discovered this little tile disaster.

It appears some water got behind the tile when we had the big snowfall and super cold temps, which expanded and weakened this strip of tile around one side of the pool's exterior wall and it fell off in a chunk. Thankfully it's the section that's only a foot high and adjacent to the sun lounger shelf, so not super visible. But it still needs repair before our older daughter hosts a Hawaiian themed bachelorette party up there in early June.

The husband and I cleaned up the edges of the tiles, grateful none of them broke when they took a tumble. Then my house repair-handy husband decided we should give it a go with the re-tiling job. A trip to our local home reno store and about $150 later, it became painfully obvious that it takes some skill to set tile flat and straight. So I dialed up the guy who built the pool five years ago and he's sending out a tile professional to replace this stretch for us. Hallelujah!

In other related bachelorette party news, I went to a really tasty local bakery in Marble Falls to place an order for some decorated cookies to match the daughter's theme - "Jessica's Getting Maui'd" since that's where they're tying the knot. And of course I had to buy some samples for me and the husband when I was in there.



I look forward to working my way through all of the flavors when we retire at the lake. I can already verify that the white almond is worth every sweet calorie.


No comments:

Post a Comment