Friday, June 10, 2022

Creeping closer to decorating

This week the painters moved into the kitchen. The pantry and walls were painted. Plus they removed old cabinet pulls and puttied the holes in preparation for painting over them since new ones will be installed. Speaking of paint, now I just need to choose the "right" brown for them to paint the sideboard with its new granite top, plus a door that will be surrounded by the new hardwoods. See what I mean, below - the paint chips look different, depending upon the light and location. Making a definitive choice is easier said than done, I tell ya. 


 

It reminds me of tests where there are four multiple choice options. It wasn't difficult to rule out two of the browns because it was obvious they just aren't right for the space. That left the one my decorator favors, and the one I prefer. I'll have to sleep on it through the weekend before I make a final select because neither color would be a mistake. But the bottom line is that I'm the one who has to live with it and see it all the time, so hopefully I have a clear winner by Monday when the painter goes to make his weekly supply run.

In other river house news, the plumber installed new sinks and faucets, while the electrician was busy upgrading the house to rocker switches. His assistant was also scurrying around replacing plugs that need to match the new wall colors. The kitchen ones look snazzy with the granite.


Since the river house is officially out in what I call the boonies, none of the big corporate waste companies are available. We asked around and chose a private garbage company owned by local man Kenny to pick up our trash. I met Kenny yesterday when he and his daughter who works for him came out to haul away all of the stuff we removed when we purchased the river house furnished. Over the past month, I've taken things to the consignment shop, given them to friends/family and made donations. Part of the garage was filled with the remaining things that need to be tossed. With that space now available, we have the room to haul more things in our workshop from the lake garage (stored there since late March) to the river. Plus some more rugs and decor I ordered that were delivered this week and also need to make the trip to the river. 



With the new hardwoods arriving a week from today, as well as the painters finishing the last of their work next Friday, we're creeping closer to the finish line on interior updates. As you can imagine, I'm REALLY looking forward to an upcoming weekend when we can go to the river to enjoy the fruits of our updating and decorating labors rather than doing more work!


No comments:

Post a Comment