Thursday, May 18, 2023

Slow down, fall, and wait your turn

This morning I made a run to Hobby Lobby to buy supplies to make patriotic summer wreaths to go alongside the Uncle Sam I ordered for our front gate. I usually put my decorations up in early June to keep in place until right after Labor Day when my fall pumpkins make an appearance.

In addition to searching for red, white and blue mesh and ribbon, I was looking for silk greenery to fill a tall urn I bought for our downstairs living room. As I strolled the aisles, I was surprised to see they already have fall decor on display. I'm not talking a row or two either. They've seriously devoted quite a bit of space to pumpkins and it's only May 18. Not even Memorial Day yet. I swear every year the holiday decor rolls out earlier and earlier. Back in my day, sonny, we didn't see hide nor hair of a pumpkin until early October.


Don't get me wrong, I adore fall. Every Labor Day I snap out of my summer funk in anticipation of the BER months. Saying goodbye (in October) to triple digit temps. Being able to sit on the back porch again without fighting off swarms of mosquitos. Friday night football lights. Hot cocoa. Family time at the holidays. What's not to love?! But I gotta admit, it's hard to contemplate the joys of fall when today's high was 95 and it's only going to get worse before it gets better.


No comments:

Post a Comment