Friday, October 20, 2023

Dreaming of lake life once again

Last weekend we enjoyed our stay at a lovely VRBO on Lake Granbury, which is about an hour southwest of the DFW metroplex. In casting about Texas for places to retire, we figure the younger daughter will probably land at a law firm in the Dallas area. And so it made sense to look at lakes within about 75 miles of the best doctors, shopping and dining Dallas has to offer.

Founded in 1886 along the banks of the Brazos River, with a current population of about 10K, it's a precious historic oasis that appears to have retained it's small town appeal despite lots of convenient amenities to support the residents. While checking out the picturesque downtown square that features the 1890 Hood County courthouse, we ran across this fun boutique below. Pug on a Pontoon certainly is a conversation starter.


Mother would have gotten a kick out of that name since she loved her pugs. And she probably would have purchased me the above mug I spied in the store since it seems to be my mantra more and more as I age. Because seriously, I don't have the time or inclination to try and impress folks. I'm a prime example of that saying about turning a sow's ear into a silk purse, dontcha know. Mother was a firm believer in going out with your hair and face done, in an outfit with matching shoes. I've always chalked it up to her being a member of the earliest post-war baby boomer generation that grew up in the 50s. As I hit middle age, mother would ask me, "Are you going out like that?" Why yes, indeed, I am going to the grocery store in workout clothes with my hair in a ponytail and layer of shiny sunscreen as the only thing on my face. Our sweet Mimi was putting on makeup, a wig and matching shoes up until the bitter end, God bless her, because that's just how she rolled.



I purposely chose a lakefront house with dock to sit and watch the world go by late every afternoon. We were entertained by some ducks that lived in the little cove. In addition to checking out local amenities, y'all know I couldn't visit the lake without taking a gander at waterfront properties. Since I've got a bee in my bonnet about building a custom home for our retirement place, we located some plots with lovely views that I'd enjoy. So it seems Granbury will stay on the list as one of our top retirement options for now. 




No comments:

Post a Comment