Monday, November 20, 2023

Thanksgiving prep underway

We kicked off our long weekend before Thanksgiving by taking seven month old Finn to the vet for neutering. As you can see in the video below, it hasn't seemed to slow him down one bit. They sent him home in this thick and rigid plastic cone he hated. Thankfully, I had saved two of the soft and flexible cones from Pepper and Chorkie's surgeries, so we switched it out on him and he doesn't seem to mind at all now. He's four days post-surgery and we've discovered we can leave the cone off during the day as long as we monitor him. He initially tried to get at his stitches while wearing the cone, and so I don't know if it's dawned on him he can give it another go when we give him breaks from wearing it.

Today I started all of my Thanksgiving meal chores, kicking it off with a visit to the grocery store for those last minute fresh veggies I didn't want to get last week when I did the big shop. I was shocked to discover that my nice spiral ham cost about ten bucks less than the turkey breast I purchased, which has me wondering if there's a turkey shortage. Today I spent almost two hours prepping brussels sprouts, green onions, bell pepper, yellow squash and sweet yellow onion for our various dishes. I also hot footed it down to the upscale seafood store to pick up the handpicked crab meat I ordered for our au gratin dip and gumbo Wednesday night. 


We've enjoyed some lovely rain lately, which has been a blessing after such a hot and dry summer. With our fall temps finally settling in, we decided it was time to get the gas fireplace in the downstairs living room up and running so we could enjoy it over Thanksgiving with family and friends. The husband is my handy dandy go-go gadget, and made pretty quick work of it.

 

As you can see above, the lighting company made it out in-between rounds of showers to get the Christmas lights on our trees and the fence. That just leaves the front gate decor for me and the husband to put in place this weekend. I spied my first showing of National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, my all-time favorite holiday movie, over the weekend. I also stumbled upon an old season of the Holiday Baking Championship. I'm waiting until the law student wraps up her fall final exams and comes home for the semester break so we can watch the current season. That's something we enjoy doing together every December.

I hope each and every one of you and your families enjoy a wonderful Thanksgiving, celebrating the many blessings our Lord has bestowed on you in the past year. Big and small y'all, our Heavenly Father did them all. This Bible verse is one that always comes to mind around Thanksgiving time: Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows. James 1:17 We serve a most holy and gracious God, and He alone is worthy of our praise and gratitude. May you find peace and joy as you're reminded of His great love and mercy in this beautiful old hymn that always touches my heart. All I have needed, thy hand hath provided... Amen!


No comments:

Post a Comment