Tuesday, April 16, 2024

An afternoon on Broadway in SA

The older daughter and her fiance saw the musical comedy "The Book of Mormon" back in the fall. They were highly amused by this exceedingly successful Broadway show and so we heard all about it. I had actually contemplated seeing it in London's West End since it premiered there several months before we moved back to Texas in 2013. Alas, we never made it and thus I figured it was time to remedy that after hearing such glowing reviews from our girl. As luck would have it, "The Book of Mormon" came to town for a limited long weekend recently and so I purchased five tickets for us. 


Unfortunately, the law student daughter in Dallas was unable to make it for the show. So we told the older daughter she could invite a friend to join us so the seat wouldn't be wasted. We all trekked to the historic Majestic Theater downtown for the matinee, strolling past the picturesque riverwalk and lots of tourists. 


The show was really funny, not to mention irreverent, controversial and R-rated at times. But I imagine that's why it has received so many accolades since its premiere on Broadway in 2011. The actor portraying Elder Cunningham for our show was sincerely talented in that role. As I read through my playbill, I saw that "Les Miserables" is in the line up for next year, and so I'm already looking forward to getting tickets for a command performance of that classic.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment