Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Tween Speak

For those of you who knew my grandmother, our youngest daughter inherited the talky talk talking gene from Doris.  Girlfriend can rattle on and on.  Every day when she gets home from school, I often worry that she'll pass out because she hardly takes a breath in between telling me about her math quiz, her lunchtime table buddies, what was discussed during recess and who was hogging the ball or being a bossy butt during volleyball practice.

It's such a change from the grunts and growls I receive from the 17-year-old when I ask about her day.  I'm thinking my mother would agree this is payback for the times I told her "I don't want to play 20 questions" when she was trying to pry the latest out of me in high school.  

With an almost six year age difference between the two girls, it's inevitable that the younger one would be much more savvy in middle school than her sister was.  She knows all of the hip songs and lingo as well as mean girl, boy-girl stuff that her older sister didn't know about when she was in 6th grade.

Last night we were eating dinner and the younger daughter was prattling on (and on and on and on) about her day.  

6th grader:  blah blah blah blah blah

Me: Uh huh.

6th grader:  I can't tell Clatterbug* anything.

Me:  Really?

6th grader:  Yes, she has got FIMS.

Me:  Mentally casting about for meaning with an I'm-still-with-you-and-paying-attention expression on my face.  Is FIMS related to PMS?  Is it communicable?  Is that code for head lice?  And then finally giving up because I'm a nerdy old lady.

Me:  So what is FIMS?

6th grader:  (shrug, eye roll and headshake of disgust because she has to explain it to me)  Foot In Mouth Syndrome, duh!


*name has been changed to protect the blabbermouth

No comments:

Post a Comment