Thursday, February 7, 2019

Lending a hand

In the month of December, I was watching one of my morning programs and a segment on holiday giving for a cause was my introduction to World Vision. For the unfamiliar out there, World Vision is a "global Christian humanitarian organization that partners with children, families and their communities to help underserved/at risk populations reach their full potential by tackling the causes of poverty and injustice." I've historically given to similar organizations such as Heifer International and Samaritan's Purse, but was unfamiliar with World Vision.

After my interest was piqued during the TV segment, I decided to explore World Vision online. Liking what I saw, I decided to sponsor two elementary age girls. Ambesiwe lives in South Africa and shares the same birthday as my older daughter. Sokney lives in Cambodia and shares the same birthday as my younger daughter. I've enjoyed learning about the girls, their communities and how the money I give every month goes towards helping to improve their lives from way over here in Texas. 

I've traveled to both Cambodia and South Africa and can recall areas of abject poverty. Places where there was no running water, let alone electricity. The word rudimentary would be a step up from some of the living conditions we witnessed.

I hope that my money, letters of encouragement and prayers for Sokney and Ambesiwe help both of them to earn an education in a safe community that will allow them to grow physically, emotionally and spiritually. Praise God that there's no price tag on hope and a positive outlook.

No comments:

Post a Comment