Thursday, February 14, 2019

So predictable

Tomorrow our threesome flies to Atlanta for president's day weekend to eat some great food and enjoy a bit of family time. Plus the senior's boyfriend is driving up from Auburn to visit her. Folks who have traveled with me KNOW I'm gonna do my level best to visit/tour a local cemetery when I'm in a new location. The older, the better. And yes, I know it sounds macabre. But I've always been terribly interested in cemeteries because it's a link to the past, and thus my love of history. I'm intrigued by it all... statuary, mausoleum design, family plot layouts, epitaphs with biographical information, scripture quotes. Every little piece helps tell a story of our past and how generations have honored their dearly departed.


Lucky me that Atlanta is home to historic Oakland Cemetery, which offers tours to the public every weekend. My husband may not agree. The senior and her college freshman boyfriend would probably prefer watching paint dry or grass grow before traipsing past graves and tombstones for a 1.5 hr tour Saturday afternoon. Whatever. With or without my peeps, I plan to soak in the funerary art and Victorian garden design cemetery that pre-dates the Civil War. Let's hope the Georgia weather cooperates!

No comments:

Post a Comment