Sunday, July 17, 2022

Evolution of a hutch

When we purchased the river house, I inherited the bulk of the furniture and decor from the owner. I kept some, repurposed a bit on the property, sent some to the consignment shop and donated the rest. Since this massive hutch imported from Mexico was situated as a built-in against the big wall of the dining room, I decided to work with it. Keeping it the original late 90s orange stain with bleached spots from the sun wasn't an option, so paint was the obvious answer. And new hardware... which was backordered and is supposedly shipping this next week. Fingers crossed.

The decorator thought it should be navy blue and I agreed. When it was first painted, I wasn't so sure. Thankfully, decor softened it. I was taken with how the milk glass pieces really popped against the blue, and decided to take away every other color to fill the entire hutch with milk glass.



I think it's a very striking look. The pic above is my first go at arranging the milk glass. I'm sure I'll be tweaking it through the summer, plus I'm still waiting for a couple final pieces I bought on eBay to arrive. The bits and pieces we originally had in the hutch were moved to the glass fronted kitchen cabinets to give it a bit of color against the white, as well as some personality. Now I just need to take my two inspiration pieces to the river and add them to the collection for the hutch's look to be finished - my granny's little hobnail milk glass lamp and mother's milk glass hen on a nest covered dish.


No comments:

Post a Comment