Friday, February 23, 2024

Urban Cowboy flashback

We're headed to rodeo finals tomorrow night, so running across this Texas honky tonk and bull riding classic recently while flipping through channels had me waxing nostalgic. It's hard to believe John Travolta and Debra Winger were 25 and 26 when this movie was made, which is smack dab between our daughter's current ages. Boy does that make me feel old. I knew every word to every song on the movie soundtrack as a kid because we had the 8-track tape that would get played while we were riding in mother's Ford Thunderbird or dad's Chevy Silverado.


I remember well how my dad had one of those western belts with your name on the back that became all the rage when this movie was released in 1980... mainly because I got spanked with it a time or two. And I'm pretty sure my momma went to Gilley's at least once back in the day to scoot a boot for ladies night after my parents were divorced. Don't get me started on that single wide Bud surprised Sissy with on their wedding day, y'all. I had the same humble upbringing in a tin can tornado magnet. It wasn't always the good old days, and yet it still brings back tons of memories when I was a carefree young teen who enjoyed the thought of riding around with that cutie pie John Travolta as Bud in his pick up truck.


No comments:

Post a Comment