Sunday, July 21, 2024

Alaska cruise tour booked

Although this summer hasn't been as miserably hot as some, it's still my recurring dream to escape the heat for cooler climes. With that in mind, I recently booked us on a ten day Alaskan cruise tour with my mother's favorite cruise line, a trip she did twice because she loved it so much. We're still eleven months out, but I'm already looking forward to it.

On this trip, we decided to make the time to see Denali National Park. Named after the tallest mountain in North America, it's around six million acres of Alaskan wilderness. Home to lots of interesting critters, its big five for wildlife spotting are moose, bear, Dall sheep, caribou and wolves. My personal list includes a marmot and pika since I've never seen those, not even in a zoo. I wouldn't mind seeing a wolverine, too, though certainly from a safe distance.


Our travel agent told me the shore excursions in the last frontier get booked up earlier than most other destinations, which I didn't remember from our first Alaskan cruise ten years ago, and so I'm glad I got that taken care of last week. For such a big chunk of time out from our embarkation date, the original eleven pages of shore excursion options I combed through six weeks ago were already whittled down to seven pages. Now all that's left to do is book our flights into Anchorage and out of Victoria. We invited a couple we've known for years who has never cruised, but had Alaska on their bucket travel list, and they're just as excited as we are for this adventure to the 49th state.


No comments:

Post a Comment