Wednesday, July 17, 2024

MOB dress search continues

I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of my two potential mother of the bride (MOB) dresses that I ordered since I received the shipping details. This has been a long and arduous process, where I've just about gone cross-eyed from looking at all of the many designer options online. Who knew it would be such a small pool once I culled out the sparkles and spangles, covered in lace, cut up to here and down to there, tight as a second skin frocks. Whew!

Last month a good friend accompanied me to a local boutique that is reputed to have a wide variety of dress choices for mothers or grannies of the bride and groom. After trying on lots of dresses, I decided one might work. However, when my consultant called the designer, she was told it wouldn't arrive in time for the wedding that's five months away. Honestly, I was a bit surprised because I just assumed MOB/MOG dresses had a shorter lead time than wedding dresses. And now you know, too.

After looking at all of my online options, including what was then the front runner, I stumbled upon a couple simple dresses on a website I thought was only for the bride and her bridesmaids. Lo and behold, there were lots of great dress choices, including two that really struck me with their elegant simplicity. The best part is that they're very reasonably priced, are available in at least 30 colors and could even be made to my specific measurements for a bit of an upcharge.

So now I'm waiting for these two dresses above to arrive and see how it goes. I figure I'll still need a bit of alterations to get the best fit. Plus I can see a seamstress adding a thin rhinestone belt to that off the shoulder dress, or maybe some rhinestone trim around the neckline of the deep V dress after making that plunge more modest. Then the big decision becomes color after the style is picked. I ordered one of the dresses in dark green, and the other in emerald. Since the occasionally snarky engaged older daughter told me she doesn't want me looking like a Christmas tree, I've also ordered color swatches in dusty blue and ink blue to consider. You know, just in case I lose my mind and add some battery operated lights to the skirt of my dress and some big red dangly earrings to get that full on Grinch effect.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment