Friday, August 23, 2024

Gone, but never forgotten

When you're young, time seems so linear. Everything appears before you in a mostly straight and measured way. Now that I'm older and a bit wiser, it has become apparent that time is a twisty, winding road. It gets distorted by distance and memory, bending and flexing so that life's timeline gives you that just yesterday feel while perversely smacking you in the face with eons ago at once.

My mother would be celebrating her 78th birthday in a few days. I can still see her so clearly in my mind's eye, and hear her voice. If only I could still taste her fabulous cooking! I'm always remembering her little quirks and sayings. Our family reminisces about her often. It's a blessing that she continues to live on in our memories, where she remains fresh and vibrant, before the cancer took her down. And yet it seems like centuries since I've been able to enjoy spending time with her. After we returned to Texas from England that second time, she became my running buddy when she moved into our guest house, and those four precious years weren't nearly enough. When my car cranked up, she was more often than not riding shotgun. We had some great adventures, Linda Ruth and I. She was one of those mothers you'd have wanted for a friend. And I was truly blessed when God gave me to her over five decades ago.


Happy birthday sweet mother and mimi, who I imagine must be rejoicing with and praising her Heavenly Father. I miss her terribly, and yet I hold firmly to the belief that I'll see her again one day when my purpose on earth is served. Here's a favorite old upbeat hymn I enjoy, sung beautifully by Joey & Rory, that reflects the redeeming grace of our Lord's great love which allows us to fly home to Him when this life is over.


No comments:

Post a Comment