Saturday, August 31, 2024

Retirement home hunt commences

Okay, so the husband hasn't retired yet. But that doesn't mean we can't start looking for our succeeding nest where we'll be spending the next chapter of our lives. If you know me, then you're well aware I'd die happy if I could spend my golden years with a water view and pontoon boat at my disposal.

In the spring we toured a couple of our top lake choices within a reasonable driving distance of the Dallas-Ft Worth metroplex where the younger daughter will undoubtedly settle after law school. With our southeast Texas roots, the husband and I really liked Lake Palestine that's spitting distance to Tyler. Azaleas, pine trees, red dirt and a bit of a roll to the pretty green scenery made us feel at home. Along with good shopping, restaurants, salt of the earth residents and a level one trauma center, we were pretty much sold. 

Earlier this month I followed up with our initial good impression of Lake Palestine by renting a waterfront home for us on the water. That allowed us to show the younger daughter around at what we think would be a good weekend getaway for her plus her own family one day, a location that's a reasonable drive from Dallas. We enjoyed beautiful morning sunrises from the swing on the screened-in back porch. Sunsets are pretty, but we're definitely more sunrise folks. The afternoon we arrived, we spied a cardinal in a backyard tree just sitting there for a while, watching us. Cardinals always remind me of my mother and granny. I'd like to think it was mother giving this lake her stamp of approval. My mother was always a big fan of the lake.


No comments:

Post a Comment