Saturday, April 3, 2021

Easter weekend

We've had a damp and kinda chilly start to the Easter weekend this year. And yet I don't mind zipping around doing errands in my jeans and a hoodie. I volunteered to provide Easter crafts and treat bags to the girls at a residential living center for kids who have been taken away from their families and can't be placed in a more standard foster situation. Thanks to covid, I was unable to visit with the girls this year and just had to drop it off.



I was glad to have my big twelve seater dining table to serve as the staging area for my treat bag prep. My theme was "Some Bunny Loves You", and so the girls had spring rabbit ears to decorate and wear, rabbit eraser topped pencils, bunny necklaces, etc. Last year, when we were with them in-person, I took sugar cookies to decorate. Maybe next year we can get back to cookie decorating. The older daughter arrived Thursday evening for the holiday weekend. She brought me the prettiest Easter cookie from one of her favorite bakeries in Austin. Our younger daughter couldn't join us, but I'm happy she was invited home with one of her college besties to celebrate Easter with their family.

What a pretty and tasty little reminder of the reason we celebrate Easter. Praise God that he sent His son Jesus Christ to walk this earth for a time to teach and guide us. It's hard to contemplate the enormity of God's love for us and Jesus' acceptance of God's will, sending him to be crucified on a cross for you and me. When weeping and death gave way to exultation and resurrection, and we were washed clean of sin by His precious blood. Hallelujah and Amen!

This time of year always reminds me of the old Baptist standards we sang during the Easter season. Up From the Grave He Arose and The Old Rugged Cross are two of my favorites, and they have been running through my head all week. I've got some great renditions of them on my church music playlist

As much as I adore the old hymns, this is one of my favorite modern worship songs on spotify at Easter time. You came from heaven to earth to show the way, from the earth to the cross, my debt to pay. From the cross to the grave, from the grave to the sky, Lord I lift your name on high. Read Matthew 27-28 in the Bible for the story of Jesus' death and ascension to heaven. It's life changing in the here and now, and flows on into eternity. I pray we're all blessed with a glorious Easter day tomorrow when we celebrate HE IS RISEN with our families.


No comments:

Post a Comment