Wednesday, March 30, 2022

My street gang

This week I hosted the ladies on our street for a luncheon. At our last gathering back in November, mother wasn't feeling well and didn't make it. I volunteered to host the next one with a Valentine's Day theme with the hope that mother would feel well enough to attend. Mother always loved these luncheons since we moved here in 2017. The ladies on our street range from my age to older than mother, and so it was a good mix. With mother's love of cooking and visiting, she was always a big fan of potlucks. 

I wouldn't have guessed in the late fall that mother's health would deteriorate so quickly that she'd be gone by mid-January. In honor of mother, I decided to host an Easter themed luncheon this week. The ladies brought a wonderful assortment of sides and desserts to compliment the smoked turkey breast and pork loin I served. At the last minute, I made a run to our neighborhood bundt cake shop to get mother's favorite spring flavor of strawberries and cream. The ladies reminisced about mother and I let them know how much she enjoyed these gatherings. They had all pitched in to give me a memorial monetary gift when mother passed away, and I was happy to tell them I'm using that towards the beautiful monument mother helped me design back before she was diagnosed with cancer.




No comments:

Post a Comment