Thursday, January 17, 2013

(Still) Expanding My Vocabulary

I continue to learn new British vocabulary and/or slang on a regular basis.  Here are some of the more interesting words I've discovered and continue to hear in everyday conversation or read in magazines.

Nick or pinch - to steal

Wheelie bin - the large garbage cans you roll to the curb

Trolley - shopping cart

Lippy - lipstick

Dodgy - risky or suspicious

Manky - scruffy, dirty or disgusting

Cheers - not just a toast, but rather a catch all phrase that also seems to convey thank you and goodbye


Squiffy - a little drunk; tipsy

This has been one of my favorite things about living in the UK, hearing the differences between American vs. British English.  I especially like the last one... just sounds so appropriate. 


No comments:

Post a Comment